If you crave dessert for breakfast, you'll love this Outrageous Bacon Buttermilk Belgian Waffle recipe. The past few weeks I've been experimenting with bacon recipes to submit in the Denny's/Foodbuzz BACONALIA challenge. Regardless of whether I win or not, I've had a blast playing with bacon. My kitchen has become so aromatic that my neighbors are calling wanting to sample my creations.
The following Outrageous Bacon Buttermilk Belgian Waffle recipe is made from a homemade batter that is slathered in organic creamy peanut butter and topped with brown sugar glazed bananas and homemade maple syrup whipped cream. Are you drooling yet?
I'm certain you could make this recipe using a boxed waffle or pancake mix. If so, I'd recommend using less water because the batter needs to be rather thick to accommodate the bacon slices. Before we get to the recipe, please note that this recipe is being submitted for competition to win prizes in the Denny's Foodbuzz BACONALIA challenge.
This recipe requires a bit of multi-tasking. Prepare the maple syrup whipped cream first and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Next, prepare the bacon and drain excess grease before preparing the waffle batter. While the waffles are cooking, prepare the glazed bananas.
OUTRAGEOUS BACON BUTTERMILK BELGIAN WAFFLE WITH PEANUT BUTTER, BROWN SUGAR GLAZED BANANAS AND HOMEMADE MAPLE SYRUP WHIPPED CREAM
HOMEMADE MAPLE SYRUP WHIPPED CREAM
Yield: 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 15 to 20 minutesINGREDIENTS:
1 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon ground NutmegDIRECTIONS:
1. Chill a medium size metal bowl in freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Remove bowl from freezer and add heavy cream.
3. Using a handheld mixer, beat cream on medium setting until it begins to thicken.
4. Add vanilla extract and nutmeg to maple syrup and gradually drizzle into cream while beating at medium-high speed until whipped cream is thick. Place in refrigerator until ready for use. BACON
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutesINGREDIENTS:
12 slices thick Smoked Maple BaconDIRECTIONS:
1. Heat griddle or large skillet over medium-heat.
2. Place bacon slices on griddle and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
3. Transfer bacon to paper towel lined plate to drain excess grease. Set aside. BUTTERMILK BELIGAN WAFFLE MIX
Yield: 4 waffles
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 to 4 minutes per waffleINGREDIENTS:
1 cup Cake Flour (can substitute with all-purpose or whole wheat, if desired)
1 Tbsp. granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 cup Buttermilk (shake well)
3 Tbsp. unsalted Butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 large Egg
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil for waffle iron
1. Lightly brush waffle iron with vegetable oil, then preheat to desired temperature. I prefer the high setting for golden brown, crispy waffles.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently whisk ingredients until well incorporated.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, melted butter, and egg. Whisk until ingredients are incorporated.
4. Slowly add flour mixture to liquid ingredients and gently stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy and thick.
5. Pour 3/4- to 1-cup waffle mixture to hot griddle. Using a wooden spoon, spread mixture to edges.
6. Place 3 slices of bacon on top of mixture.
7. Gently close waffle maker top to prevent bacon breakage.
8. While waffles are cooking, start preparing brown sugar glazed bananas.
9. Remove waffles and transfer to serving plate. Cover with foil or place in warm oven until ready to eat.
BROWN SUGAR GLAZED BANANAS
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
2 medium ripe Bananas
1 Tbsp. unsalted Butter
1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1. Preheat a small skillet over medium heat.
2. Add butter and heat until melted.
3. Slice bananas into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
4. Add to melted butter and cook until medium golden brown.
5. Add brown sugar and gently stir until bananas are coated.
6. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until brown sugar begins to bubble. Remove from heat.
BUILDING THE PERFECT BACON BUTTERMILK BELGIAN WAFFLE
1. Place Belgian waffle on serving plate.
2. Slather with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter (smooth or crunchy).
3. Top with 2 Tbsp. maple syrup whipped cream.
4. Top with 1/4 cup brown sugar glazed bananas.
5. Serve with a glass of cold milk or freshly squeezed orange juice.
If you love bacon you might also enjoy my recipe for Spicy Hot Chocolate Covered Bacon.